Search This Blog

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Creationism versus Science

Someone on Facebook is trying to debate the argument for creationism versus science. My friend believes that creationist are undermining science education in schools. In my experience students are deficient in science because they can't read and write but that is a whole other discussion. That's not even the real debate. What he's really debating is geological time, 4 billion years, versus the literal translation of the Bible. For me the debate is a non-issue.

Don't get crazy on me, my dear brothers and sister in Christ: here's my logic.
The Bible is not primarily about creation, if it was the chapter would have been longer. The purpose of the Bible, in my opinion, is to teach us how to know God, how to be part of His family through His son Jesus, and how to share that with others. If you haven't read it, I encourage you to find out for yourself.

The discussion I am willing to enter, is how God has changed my life. A life once filled with brokenness and loss was transformed by purpose and love. I'll have that discussion any day. I would tell you that as I study the Bible it reveals who Jesus was, the purpose for His death on the cross, and how He's alive in the world and in my life. I've learned to know God and hear his voice through reading His word.  For those without an understanding of God these words might be met with unbelief or even disdain. How can she be so naïve, so gullible?

Here's How:
I once was lost and now I'm found. My life was crap and now it's abundant, rich in experiences and relationships. I once was blind but now I see...see what? I see that God is true and real and that He is just and powerful. And get this: this powerful God wants to have a relationship with me, and you. The debate isn't about 7 days or 4 billion years. The debate is will you surrender to the God of the Universe, through His son Jesus. That's the debate that's been going on for over 2,000 years, and it's a far more meaningful discussion.
Ciao

 

No comments:

Post a Comment